Words don't come easy

Do you remember the 1982 song, Words?

Well I am writing about something, totally unrelated.

Today my eight year old daughter asked me the meaning of a particular word, that I am almost sure I have never used. Besides, I don't think I knew the meaning of the word until I was twice her age!
I don't even want to mention the word!!

I almost feel sorry that little girls and boys even know these words! Why or how would they even learn words we hardly ever use!!?

I am not into cursing, or using profane language, both in front of my children or otherwise. I find it ridiculous to start swearing or using foul language, whatever be the reason. I do admit that on a few occasions, I have used a few swear words with people I am really close to, but just in jest.  It is probably because most of my  early childhood, I never heard my parents, or sibling swear or curse. But then again, I know lots of people who do use profane language any chance they get, but I know that they never had parents or siblings who did. These 'words don't come easy to me'.
I hear that people use it just to get some kind of release.... to let go of anger.... to vent their frustration. I know that doesn't make them bad people.

However the thought is still bothering me - that at 8, my daughter came up to me with this question.
I answered her as best I could, and told her that it is not a word I would want her to use. I know I will have many more question to answer through my life with these girls. As I matter of fact, I just finished the 'where do babies come from' talk with my 4 year old, just a few days ago.

I hope and pray that my children don't start swearing or using 'foul language' anytime in my lifetime. Not only do I think it is very unladylike, I also think it is unnecessary for anyone to use.


“Profanity is the attempt of a lazy and feeble mind to express itself forcefully” 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Percussion

A Haiku and a Tanka

Mulligatawny Soup