10,000 big steps for me.....(just a brief of how I have started making changes in my life)


This post may seem a little 'here and there' since there is so much I wanted to say, and did not know where to start and where to end.

As far as I can remember, I have been overweight since I was in my 20's. That together with my height  (only 5'8", but that is tall for an Indian lady) and huge bone structure has made me really heavy.
Over the last month, or maybe a little longer, I have been making an extra effort to do something about it and bring my weight down and get healthy.
The reason?
Oh there are so many things to do, so many reasons to live as healthy as you can!

I have read so many articles saying to weigh yourself only once a week. But I weigh myself everyday, at the same time. And what joy to see the weight dropping (even if it is just 0.1 kg).
If you want to know why I weigh myself everyday, it is because I want to keep a check on my weight, and what I have eaten the previous day so I will know what food is working for me and what isn't. Besides I want to make sure that I don't gain any weight from day to day. Remaining the same is okay, but shedding some weight is ideal.

I do a 40 minute walk every morning, and also at least 20 minutes of some dance workout, or some other workout where I am active. For people like me who are huge to begin with, it is best to start with something easy.

You can do a 3 mile walk at home. That is almost 5 km!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRScb2l4Z4g&index=3&list=PL6DDCF27197DC7AD4


I have got myself a pedometer, and aim to do at least 10,000 steps everyday. I have read that taking 10,000 steps a day will significantly improve your health, build up your stamina, improve your heart and help you burn excess calories. On an average, I used to walk about 4000 steps a day. So how did I increase that to 10,000? A 40 minute walk.
My Omron Pedometer

Me and my friend, Roopa, have now started chatting (text messaging) while we both do 1000 steps together - she in Australia and me in India! Actually we did it just once, but it is a fun way of doing that.
I get out of the chair every opportunity I get. I realise that I was actually lazier than I realised.

Food! I love it.

It's not easy but I have changed the way I eat.

It used to be a peanut butter and jam on bread for breakfast, or a bowl of corn flakes.... Now it is oats, with flaxseeds, cinnamon and honey, or a fruit and a slice of toast and an egg. Some mornings I also drink a glass of barley water.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/263405.php

Lunch is measured - Half a cup of rice (I actually measure it), with loads of vegies, and a little chicken/beef.

Dinner is only vegies, usually a salad.

During the day if I am hungry, I snack on almonds, cucumber, capsicum, carrots, an apple or some dates or prunes.

If I really feel like eating something 'unhealthy'. I take a small little bit of it.... just to satisfy myself.

And I also drink loads of cold water. It is easier to drink it, as somehow it does taste sweeter than water at room temperature.

Some people may think I have gone overboard, but I think not. I am hoping I remain this way with my eating and exercise; coz I really want to make it a change in lifestyle, not only for me, but for my husband and children as well.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Percussion

A Haiku and a Tanka

Mulligatawny Soup