I cherish the happy days with my Love, but the sad memories do not leave.

 Looking back on my last 12 days with Gerard, I think of him lying on that bed in the ICU, intubated, with the ventilator, monitors and machines all around him, tubes in his nose and mouth, tapes stuck on his neck and his face, holding the tubes in place. The monitors beeping in the silent ICU. The smell of  medicines and  hand sanitisers, and on some days, a dialysis machine next to him, while I stood there and watched his blood flowing through the tubes. A blown up purple medical glove on his chest, to prop up all the paraphernalia that needed to be held in place. Doctors calling me into their rooms to give me updates and reports that I barely comprehended.

He had to have the restraints removed from his hands to write things he wanted to tell me. The last time he probably smiled was when I spoke to him about our two girls and was imitating them, in the middle of the ICU.  When I told him that I loved him, he pursed his lips to give me a kiss, even with the breathing tube going into his throat through his mouth. Two sights I will never forget.

Standing at his bed, holding his hand as he briefly opened his eyes and looked at me as soon as he heard my voice, every time I was there- somehow seeming grateful that I was. Watching two tears flow from his eyes, wondering what he was thinking or feeling. He knew I was there, but no last words were spoken. Just a few words written on a piece of paper - asking about our girls, and then writing that he loves me.

The last 4 days in the hospital, I got the feeling like there was really no hope left, and I knew that if he did pull through this, he would have a very difficult and painful life ahead of him. I knew I had to let go. If he did live, he would have said to me, "Sugar, you should have let me die." 

The morning of the 9th of October, when the doctor spoke to me, I knew it was time to let go.  And the last time I spoke to my husband, a couple of hours before  he left, I told him to show me a sign as I didn't have the heart to make the decision on his behalf. I thought that when I came into hospital the next morning I would be telling the doctor to take him off the ventilator. Then again, I would have to think of what kind of life he would have had if he did pull through. From being such an active and crazy, fun person to being sickly and lying in bed most of the time.

I still believe that he had to let go. He would not want to make me go through making that decision on my own. And although this is something that no wife can get over, I am glad he left without me having to make that decision, which I would have done, no matter what anyone said (And yes, I know that may seem very cold and heartless). It would have been incredibly painful to do that. 

I am also glad that I did not take our  girls to see him in hospital, because almost 8 months later, there hasn't been a day when the memory of him in that hospital bed has not crossed my mind at some point in the day. And it is a painful and depressing memory. 

Strangely, the first 5 months after he left, were sad, but I coped. (or thought I did). 6 months on, it just seems more terrible, and this does not get any easier as time passes. 

Time does not help to heal. I think each day is still a challenge, and some days are better than others. But the pain, the sadness, the memories and the love just keep taking turns to creep into every day.

I hope you continue to watch over us, my angel.

Comments

  1. Thank you so much, Nicky... for sharing with us what is undoubtedly very personal and very precious memories of Gerard and giving us a glimpse of what he experienced during those 12 days in hospital and also sharing a few of the many struggles you faced while he was sinking day by day as well as the ongoing challenges which confronts you even more so everyday!!

    The decision to let go must have been the hardest one you ever made and I cannot say I can imagine it, but I do say that I understand both the emotional and the practical reasons which took you to that point. In the end, I believe his love for you was so much that he spared you from making that agonising final call.

    No one can touch their own conscience and comment anything adverse about your decision and even if they did so, it does not matter because they were neither in Gerard's shoes nor yours to know what it truly means to do so.

    Yes, it does seem like time is taking its own time to heal those raw wounds but, I believe your resolute faith in God will gradually and eventually ease that sharp pain in your heart.

    Your love for Gerard is enduring past his life, forever merged with your love for Carrie and Kristen! Cherish his memories and keep them alive in your children as his legacy!!

    I say again to you and yours, that you are always welcome to reach out to me if you think I can be of any support or help in the times ahead.

    Always with affection,

    Danny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Niki! Your absolute honesty through this is so courageous and incredible.
    I had to make such a decision for my father, and since he wanted to die at home, not the hospital when his cancer had reached a point of no return and his lungs were filling up with liquid- I had to be the one administering the morphine that eased him on.
    I have never had the courage to sit and share that feeling of pain, yet resolute aloneness.
    You did the right thing and are contributing to be a model of courage to us all.
    Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sucheta, I had to put this down somewhere....

      Delete

Post a Comment

Do drop a line or two and let me know your thoughts or opinions about what you have read.

Popular posts from this blog

Percussion

A Haiku and a Tanka

Mulligatawny Soup