A lifestyle change

At 40, it has finally hit me!! My health and well being should be one of my priorities.
I had let myself go, and hit an all time high of something over 100 kgs! I would rather not disclose the actual number.

I always wanted to get fit and eat right.
One of the main reasons, is that I want to be able to look after my children and husband and not have them look after me.
Another is that I want to feel good, look good and not be so heavy that I can't get up and go play outdoors with my girls.
The other is that I have a family history of heart disease; and my husband's family has a history of hypertension. Both really dangerous!! Who better to care for and raise my children, than me and my husband. That's when I realised - It's now or never!

Once a habit has been formed, it is really difficult to kick it. I had got into the habit of being lazy and eating any food, whatever it was! Breaking the habit that has been on for the last almost 40 years was bound to be difficult.

Thanks to one of my old, young friend, Roopa, I have started getting on track and making small healthy changes in the food I eat, and moving around a lot more.
Roopa is a dear friend, and is a young, vivacious, fun girl, who is full of ideas. She hounds us (me and a bunch of our friends) every day, making sure we are eating right, walking a lot and staying active. Thank you Roopa!

Roopa
I have started with eating a healthy breakfast. Breakfast was not one of my meals for most of my life. I have cut down the rice I eat. I actually measure half a cup when I am serving rice. Unfortunately, in India we are brought up with the idea that rice is one of the most important things we should eat - in huge mounds too!
I have started stocking loads of fruits and vegies at home, which makes this a good way of eating for my daughters as well. Capsicum, cucumber, carrots, beans, oranges, apples, pomegranate, bananas.....Oats, Barley, cinnamon, honey, chicken....

Now while other children in my daughter's school, have biscuits, cakes and chips as snacks in school, my girls have pomegranate, cucumber, almonds, watermelon, and they love it. That is good eating habits for them as well.....

I intend to go below 100, {never to return} within the next 6 weeks. I have bought myself a pedometer, and have started doing at least 10000 steps a day.


I am hoping that temptation and stupidity don't get the better of me, and I continue this way of life for years.


Here are a few links that have helped me. I especially like sharecare.

http://www.sharecare.com/ - For diet and weight loss plans.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/default.htm - For general information about health. This also has information on weight loss.


http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/handouts/healthybodies-index - For information about the health of children


This is me about a month ago.

I hope to put up a picture of a leaner, healthier, active me within the next 2 months.... and if I don't you will know that I have given in to temptation yet again.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Percussion

A Haiku and a Tanka

Mulligatawny Soup