Marie Kondo and Maria help me declutter.


While I am one of the most patient people that I know, I am extremely disorganised. This contributes to a bit of a mess around the house at times. 

My sister, Maria (who is lovingly called Akka, by all the siblings) last visited me and my girls about six months ago and I think she was a bit shocked at the amount of unnecessary things that were in the house. From planks of wood lying in the loft, to pedestal fans that did not work, jars of ingredients in the kitchen which were probably used only once a year, to pans that were never used, and artificial flowers - something that I absolutely loathe. 

I will make an exception for something that is beautiful and classy. Well, my wedding bouquet was artificial white poinsettias, because I love how beautifully the lady (Sandy) who made mine and my bridesmaid's bouquets does her arrangements, and they had to be brought from Sri Lanka. The fresh flowers would not have made it. 

Well, in addition to all this we all had loads of clothes in our cupboards, which are almost never used. (the clothes I mean, not the cupboards.)

When we went to her home to spend the Christmas break there, I was quite charmed by how neat her house was, with no clutter and only the basic necessary stuff. Even her kitchen shelves were not cluttered with jars of masalas which are hardly used. She told me that if she does need anything which is rarely used, she gets only the amount she needs from a shop nearby. Her showcase in her hall is big, but it is not filled with gaudy things - just a few pretty coloured glass lamps, a few articles of pretty crockery, and some things from years ago. 


And for Christmas I got a book from Akka - The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. While the book itself was rather helpful, I learnt more from Maria than from the book. The book explains in what order one should start decluttering, and the actual process of doing so. Be warned it is a process that is time-consuming. 

So when I returned after Christmas, I cleared up my cupboard, helped my children clear out theirs, and gave away so much unnecessary stuff that had accumulated over the years. I still have a lot to clear out, and need a bit of time before I decide when and who I can give more of the stuff to. 

Thanks to Maria and Marie Kondo, my children and I have neat and organised cupboards and book shelves, and a lot less clutter lying around. 

Thank you Akka! You have taught me this and so much more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Percussion

A Haiku and a Tanka

Mulligatawny Soup