Remembering Gerard


It is 3 months since my husband, partner and best friend passed on..... And our lives will never quite be the same again. 

I hear people (who just want me to feel some kind of comfort) tell me that he will always be there, or that he is watching over us. I think that it takes the loss of a loved one to know that there is nothing like actually having that person be able to touch you or be physically present. 

We miss -


How he spent time with the girls and me

I asked if with his friends he would rather be,

I want to be here and I don't want to go 

I can surely meet them tomorrow.


How he would sit on the bed in his pensive mood

About religion and discipline we often argued.

And he'd bring down his guitar from the wall,

To sings some tunes with him his daughters he'd call.


Storms Never Last and Sister Golden Hair 

His nasal singing voice, and then he'd declare 

Don't I have a good voice, Sugar?

We would smile and even he would then snigger.

He'd scream at us all if our rooms were a mess 

If we wasted or overspent that would be the cause of distress.

After lunch we often would lie on the bed, 

There'd be tickling, fun and madness till someone bumped their head.


He did love to dance and was great fun at a party,

When his spirits were high, and oh yes, he was sporty.

 I don't know another who had so much knowledge,

About sporting records, history, geography and apanage.


His crooked smile when people displayed their ignorance/arrogance 

His 'expert views' on politics and governance 

The DIY projects he would often attempt,

Spent hours in front of the mirror so his beard wasn't unkempt.


His hand holding mine as we both fell asleep,

And his toes on my foot, as the crickets did cheep.

The snarky remarks, and the kisses therafter.

The love and cuddles he gave to his daughters.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Percussion

A Haiku and a Tanka

Mulligatawny Soup